After an injury, treatment and rest are an absolute must and so is rehabilitation. Rehabilitation is a gradual recovery process that aims at restoring the fitness and functional ability of the injured individual. It is a coordinated effort performed by the patient and physician at the clinic or at home. Rehab at home is ideal for patients who are unable to travel to the hospital or clinic. JH Rehabilitation is one such expert rehabilitation centre in Chennai that is a plethora of services to facilitate the speedy recovery of the patient. Apart from Brain Injury Rehabilitation and spinal cord rehab, it also offers the best speech therapy in Chennai. It is also sought-out for its occupational therapy in Chennai and for its skilled physiotherapists in Chennai.
What is rehab at home?
Rehabilitation is essential for many kinds of injuries and maladies. Brain and spinal cord injuries, sports injuries, cardiac and pulmonary conditions, pediatric and orthopedic conditions, neuromuscular or neurodegenerative conditions, require rehab. Even for amputation, burns and cancer, rehab is a must. This can be offered at the comfort of the patient’s residence and is then called rehab at home.
Rehab at home aims at restoring the full performance capability and physical health of a person after a trauma or injury within the comfort of his home. It begins with alleviating or controlling the pain followed by exercises to restore strength and endurance. This rehabilitation process is successful only when the patient cooperates with the physician and the physician intuitively understands what the patient needs. This kind of special rapport and coordination can be found only at a rehabilitation centre of experience and expertise like JH Rehabilitation.
What is the difference between rehab at home and clinic rehabilitation?
The quality of rehabilitation treatment at the patient’s home is the same as that offered in a rehabilitation centre or clinic. In fact, research reveals that rehab at home is far more effective than clinic rehabilitation due to the following reasons-
- Home rehab users reached 90% accuracy faster than clinic users.
- The interval between the therapy sessions’ was longer for clinic users. This means that clinic users took longer time or more number of days to get back for their next session.
- Home therapy users have access to the therapy program every day at home. On the contrary, clinic users had to wait till the next session at the hospital to do the rehab task. This made them recover faster.
Rehab at home – the dos and don’ts
- Be totally committed to your rehabilitation routine and follow the instructions of the physician diligently.
- Be fully informed about your body’s condition, the status of your injury, the mode of rehabilitation, etc.
- Get acquainted with your exercise regimen thoroughly.
- Ask the physiotherapists questions and clarify your doubts.
- Be transparent with your physician about any difficulties you may face with the medication, exercise, etc.
- Cooperate fully with your physician and follow their instructions religiously.
- Pay full attention to the home treatment exercises.
- Have full faith in physicians and experts. They are here to help you.
- Do not expect your physician to work miracles or you overnight. Your cooperation is the key to the success of your rehabilitation
- Do not lose heart if you feel your progress of recovery is slow. Recovery takes time but can definitely be achieved with your full cooperation.
- Do not worry about the pace of the rehabilitation. Just focus on reducing the pain and restoring your fitness.
- Do not hurry the recovery process by overdoing the exercises. That may cause more harm than good
- Do not say NO to any sort of passive rehabilitation treatments that your rehab specialist may suggest. Rehab at home comprises of a combination of active and passive treatments. The passive treatments may include massage, acupuncture, chiropractic therapy, joint mobilization, soft tissue work and even psychiatric counselling. You can recover faster only when you adopt a combination of both treatments.
- Do not become dejected or depressed because you are receiving rehab at home. Rehab at home is done with the help of trained physicians and gives you the same result as in-patient rehabilitation.
When is rehab at home most needed?
When is rehab at home most needed? When emergency situations arise where the patient is unable to travel to the hospital, it is best to opt for rehab at home. One such situation is the current pandemic of Covid-19. Although the pandemic demands social distancing, this does not mean that the patient’s rehabilitation and recovery must stop. To alleviate the trauma of the patients, rehab at home can be provided while taking the necessary precautions and by adhering to social distancing rules. In fact, instead of inviting the risk of contagion by going to hospitals, patients can rather opt for rehab at home. JH Rehabilitation takes utmost precaution to see that the patients receive the required clinical care at their homes with maximum safety measures.
Opt for rehab at home for a speedy recovery with maximum safety at JH Rehabilitation.