Brain rehabilitation therapy helps a person to reach their full post-injury potential. The survivors of mild to severe brain injury can acquire a certain degree of impairment, based on the impact.
The brain rehabilitation sessions, conducted by a team of qualified Physiatrists, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech-Language Pathologists, Neuropsychologists are aimed to regain independent living skills or to relearn the forgotten skills of the person.
The after-math of a brain injury:
Post-injury, the brain starts recovering on its own while repairing and rewiring the damaged neurons or brain cells. This is called neuroplasticity. This spontaneous recovery of the brain does not suffice in some cases as the brain assumes that all its parts, including the areas where the neurons are dead, are functioning well.
This can be overlooked if the injury impact is minimal and after certified by the doctor. If the person is facing some kind of impairment, however minimal it can seem, it is essential to seek brain rehabilitation therapy.
The role of rehabilitation after a brain injury:
A well-devised session by the team of brain rehabilitation therapists can help the person to return to independent living or to regain the possible outcome. Usually, the rehabilitation specialists categorize these therapy sessions into the following.
- Inpatient rehabilitation – This is employed when the injury is severe and when the individual requires full range of therapies.
- Outpatient rehabilitation – It would be a time-specific session that the individual undergoes in periodic intervals and avails as an outpatient.
Apart from that, in-house therapy sessions can be availed by an individual with severe impairments and in cases where the individual could not move by themselves.
Types of rehabilitation therapies:
The impact of a brain injury can cause disruption in physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioural aspects of the person. The therapy sessions are developed depending on the type of the injury and various types of sessions are used for various injuries. Continue reading to understand the different types of brain rehab sessions.
- Cognitive rehabilitation – This in-patient and outpatient therapy session called cognitive rehabilitation is focused to rewire the areas of the brain that are imperative in thinking. This therapy helps the person to regain their cognitive skills.
- Speech and language rehabilitation – Speech impairment is one of the most common conditions faced by brain injury survivors. Speech and language rehabilitation sessions, that contain speech pathologists, are aimed to achieve maximum speech ability through physical activities and exercises.
- Concussion management – Post-concussive traumatic brain injury, the person is thoroughly evaluated through a multidisciplinary team. The outcome is measured and based on the findings, the team provides an ideal setting that consists of physical session, guidelines including lifestyle changes.
- Vocational evaluation sessions – These sessions are conducted by a team of experienced occupational therapists and physical therapists. They focus on developing a plan that helps the person to find ways to continue their efficiency in their previous job or skill, or to find ways to be productive in life.
- Neuromuscular brain rehabilitation – As the name implies, these therapy sessions are focused to improve the brain and muscle coordination. A team of occupational therapists and physical therapists help the individual to ease the process of reintegration into independent life or to expand the boundaries of their limitations caused by severe impairments.
The right time for rehabilitation:
The therapy sessions can be started as soon as the person is declared medically stable. In fact, the valutory and spontaneous recovery phases of the brain are crucial as combining rehabilitation therapy with these phases can enhance the overall outcome of the rehabilitation therapy.
A person can experience various physical and cognitive changes after a brain injury, some are visible right after the concussion and some even after the complete recovery. It is highly recommended to get the therapy that is focused on overall recovery.
Find out the best rehabilitation centre for brain injury to help your loved ones to experience life to its fullest!